What is a Serpentine Belt?
The Serpentine Belt is used to connect multiple engine components through a single belt which provides a power source for these accessories. The serpentine belt is a vital part of the engine that is required for proper engine operation. To be correctly termed as a Serpentine Belt the belt must be attached to multiple engine accessories.
Engines components typically powered by a Serpentine Belt:
- Water Pump
- Air Conditioning Compressor
- Power Steering Pump
A Serpentine Belt is also known by these terms:
- Drive Belt
- Vee Belt
- Multi Belt
- Serp Belt
When should the engines Serpentine Belt be changed?
We at KLM Performance recommend you do a thorough visual inspection of the serpentine belt at every oil change. The age of the belt and the miles driven are the main reasons for a Serpentine Belt replacement. The use of a Non-OEM serpentine belt will cause you time and aggravation. We strongly recommend using the OEM belts to avoid issues. When you do an inspection of the Serpentine Belt you are looking for these signs:
- A broken or failed engine pulley can damage the serpentine belts integrity.
- Cracking is a direct result of age, temperature exposure, and duty cycles. , this is the most common way to know your belt is due for replacement.
- Belt Contamination. A Serpentine belt that has come in contact with engine coolant, oil or power steering fluid requires replacement. These contaminants can penetrate the belt and cause a failure.
- The Belt suddenly starts making noise. A noisy belt is a warning sign that needs to be addressed promptly.
Any of these warning signs can lead to a serpentine belt failure. If any of these signs are now present on your motor, it is now time to replace your Serpentine Belt. A broken serpentine belt will leave you stranded, so it is best to replace the belt immediately to avoid trouble. Any of these warning signs can lead to a serpentine belt failure. If any of these signs are now present on your motor, it is now time to replace your Serpentine Belt.
We also recommend that you check the function of the Serpentine Belt Tensioner as this engine component is also considered a wear item that needs replacement. The serpentine belt is kept under constant tension by the belt tensioner. A worn serpentine belt tensioner is usually noticeable by the chirp heard when you shut the engine off. The Serpentine Belt is kept at the proper tension by the Belt Tensioner for good engine performance. With age, this component begins to wear just like the Serpentine Belt.
List Price: $67.95add to cart
List Price: $64.80add to cart