Diesel Fuel Water Separator
Diesel Fuel Water Separation Filters
What a diesel fuel water separator filter removes?
- Emulsified Water
- Entrained Water
Water in Diesel Fuel is the greatest concern because it is the most common. Water can be introduced into your diesel fuel tank during the refueling process. Water is present due to condensation inside the fuel storage tank and poor housekeeping practices. The effects of water in diesel fuel can be serious, causing injector tips to
blow off, corrosion and reduced fuel lubricity, resulting in premature wear to pumps and injectors.
Diesel Fuel Water Separator Filters are a vital part of today's diesel engines. Using the proper name brand premium diesel fuel filter ensures a long trouble free life of the engines high-pressure diesel fuel injection. Today's high-pressure systems have very tight tolerances. Improperly Filtered or Unfiltered diesel fuel will cause rapid wear of the engines fuel injection system. If the water in your diesel fuel is not removed before the fuel enters the fuel injection system, rapid wear and failure of the fuel pump and injectors will occur. The cleaner the fuel supplied to the engine the more efficient the combustion process becomes.
Types of Water Separator Filters
Some Water Separator Filters found on diesel engines are of a bowl-like design which collects water in the bottom of the filter housing. Water is a denser liquid than diesel fuel, so it settles to the bottom of the filter casing.
Diesel Fuel Water Separator Filter Maintenance
Diesel Fuel Water Separator Filters need to be maintained at regular intervals. If a diesel water separator filter is not drained at regular intervals problems will occur. Microbial colonies can and will proliferate at the interface between the fuel and free water in a water separator filter. Water that has settled to the bottom of the filter gives these microbes everything they need to thrive. Warm temperatures will accelerate the growth of microbial colonies. Microbial growth can occur in any diesel fuel. Biodiesel, being made from plant and animal fats, makes especially good food for these bugs and contributes to the increased incidence of biological growth problems seen in recent years. The regular draining of your diesel fuel water separator filter reduces your risk of fuel related challenges! If you cannot remember the last time you changed your filter, then it is now time for a filter change.
Why your diesel fuel water separator filter is so important!
Water in your fuel will be drawn into your diesel engines fuel system. The fuel injection system uses the diesel for the lubrication of the moving parts. If water gets into a moving part which requires constant lubrication, it will quickly cause overheating and unnecessary wear. Water causes premature wear on the fuel injection system which leads to costly repairs.
The damage caused by Water Contamination in Diesel Fuel
Water is found in diesel fuel, due mainly to condensation, handling, and environmental conditions. While water is always present in diesel fuel, it is more pronounced in humid areas and marine applications. However, today's High-Pressure Common Rail fuel systems cannot have even small amounts of water in the injectors.The presence of water in diesel fuel systems may cause the following problems:
- Water causes rust and corrosion of iron components. The formation of loose particles of iron oxide contributes to injector wear and component failure
- At the interface of water and diesel fuel, microbiological growth rapidly occurs under the proper conditions.
- The microbes form a sludge that can plug filters and hinder injector performance.
- The acid excreted by these bacteria causes the corrosion of storage tanks and vehicle tanks, which leads to an increase in particles found in fuel.
- Water can overwhelm standard on-engine fuel filtration.
- When Water makes it past the fuel filtration system to the injector system, since it does not have the same lubrication as diesel fuel oil, can cause premature wear and injector failure.
- Water in the fuel can also lead to premature wear of fuel pumps and other system components that rely upon the lubricating properties of diesel fuel oil.
- Biodiesel and Bio-oil fuels have become increasingly popular. However, these fuels have a greater affinity to water and therefore are more difficult from which to remove water. These fuels contribute to the most aggressive growth of microbes. Both of these fuels require the addition of secondary filtration systems.
- To adequately protect modern high-pressure common rail fuel injection systems regular filter maintenance is required.
KLM Performance carries these fuel water separator filters for premium diesel fuel filtration to keep your fuel system running clean, efficient and powerful. If you do not see the diesel fuel filter you are looking for, please do not hesitate to call us or contact us.
List Price: $18.11add to cart
List Price: $55.21add to cart
List Price: $27.78add to cart
List Price: $49.95add to cart
List Price: $14.35add to cart
List Price: $44.65 Your Price: $37.65 You Save: $7.00 (16 %)add to cart
List Price: $37.95add to cart
List Price: $51.98add to cart
List Price: $47.39add to cart